To get the above effect use a slow shutter speed. There are other tricks you will have to use as well :
- Use a tripod to prevent camera shake during the slow shutter speed.
- Use a dark ND8 Filter to increase shutter time.
- Set the Drive Mode to "2 sec self timer" to prevent camera shake due to pressing the shutter button .
- Lock up the mirror to prevent camera vibration. Change Custom Function III - 5 to 'Enable'.
- Change Mode Dial to Tv or Shutter Priority.
- Set shutter speed to around 1/4 sec. Experiment with slow speed settings.
- Press shutter button halfway and check exposure.
- Press shutter button completely to swing up the mirror.
- Press shutter button completely again to take the picture and then the mirror will go down.